August 2018

I figured I might want to start posting more currently as well.  The chickens I have are moderate layers, meaning that I can probably get 50% of them to lay daily.  I had 8 chickens (lost 2 in the past few months) and 4 eggs a day is not enough as I often eat 3 a day and I want to have a surplus to sell.  I checked online and decided I needed a bird that was a high layer--the barred rock was what I selected.  I managed to buy 4 chicks at Rural King--now I have 12 chickens.  I have to keep the two groups separated until the chicks are big enough to not get picked on by the older hens.  The phrase, 'a pecking order' is true.  The big/older birds will bully the babies.  I built a nesting box, low to the ground for the babies to go in once they have their true feathers, about 6 weeks of age.  Once the babies are big enough to integrate with older birds, about 4 months old, then all of the birds will have access to the nesting box as my current box will not accommodate 12 birds, or even 6 at one time.  And I do not intend to search the yard for the birds' eggs as the girls have made me do a few times.  I have been working with the pups to let the chickens roam the whole yard during the day and so far, all is going well, just a few times have I had to search for missing eggs. 

The greenhouse has been wired and is ready for the county inspection, awaiting that now.  I shall build the boxes for the aquaponics set up this week and I will take pictures of my pumping design and all as I go about this process.  I have ordered the pumps--whew, expensive.  Now I am searching for suppliers for my critters--crappies, blue gills, fathead minnows and prawns.  I know where to buy worms.  All of this will be a slow process as the fish will be babies when purchased and cannot be harvested for about 6-8 months.  I can grow a few plants during this time, but until the fish are big enough, I can only grow leafy greens as they are low in nutrient requirements.  I must admit I am learning a lot more about gardening than I thought possible.  I thought I knew a lot--NOT.  Aquaponic growing is a very different process than dirt farming or even hydroponically farming. 

The nesting box--I give myself a "C" for work.  It is level but I cannot take a level picture.  So far, the birds are working towards not being afraid of it.  Maybe they will use it. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts