Raising crickets

Another prospective animal to raise was the cricket.  I buy dried mealworms to feed to the chickens during the colder months to supplement their diet.  However this is a bit expensive so I was looking for an alternative.  I decided to try and raise crickets.  I set up everything okay and bought crickets from a local pet store that sold them.  However, I have learned that some cricket suppliers treat the crickets so they won't breed.  I found that my 50+ crickets never chirped and chirping is part of mating.  The crickets died off and I did not see any newbies show up.  I have decided to let that idea wait until summer when I can catch crickets in the yard and see if I can raise/breed them.  If that does not work, I am wondering about pillbugs--will chickens eat them if I can raise them? 

Comments

Popular Posts